News

#JusticeForMohbad: ‘Take It Back Movement’ Urges Police To Make Findings Public

LAGOS – The Take It Back Movement, Nigeria, has called on the authorities of the Nigerian Police to provide information on the extent of the investigation into the death of the budding musician, Ilerioluwa Oladimeji, alias Mohbad, to save his wife and child from threats and cyber-attacks.

The Movement, which addressed a press conference in Lagos on Thursday, lamented that the failure of the Police to provide the public with information on the details of the investigation has exposed Mohbad’s widow and child to several threats by telephone and cyber bullies.

Omolola Pedro, Head of the Gender Department, Take It Back Movement, who spoke during the press conference, said that considering the controversies that trailed Mohbad’s mysterious death in suspicious circumstances, the Police should immediately conclude its investigation and make their findings public.

Pedro stated: “The Nigeria Police in a manner popular with it has continued to keep silent about its ongoing investigation into the death of a Nigerian musician,  Ilerioluwa Oladimeji Aloba, popularly known as ‘Mohbad’.

“In September, the Force Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, in a statement said that the Lagos State Police Command had been tasked with investigating the death of the 27-year-old musician who died under murky circumstances.

“Despite announcing the completion of autopsy for the late singer, the Nigeria Police has kept mute and is no longer providing information on the case.

“Recall that the circumstances surrounding the death of the late singer sparked a public outcry and the eventual emergence of the #JusticeForMohbad campaign which metamorphosed into protests across the country.

“The continued delay in getting justice for the late Mohbad has exposed his wife, Wumi, and only child, Liam to several attacks like cyberbullying, cyberstalking, organised malicious campaigns against their persons, and even physical harassment. The same fate the late Mohbad suffered while he was alive.

“The Take It Back Movement calls on the Nigeria Police to stop the needless delays, make public its findings from the investigation, and protect the rights of the deceased wife and child.

“We also call on the police to take note of threats of physical harm against the wife, and child of the deceased, and bring perpetrators to justice, accordingly.”

Also speaking, former Lagos State Chairman of The Take It Back Movement, Ayoyinka Oni, stated that what the group wanted was for police to conclude the investigation into the case and ensure that justice was done to the late Mohbad and his family.

He lamented that both the autopsy and toxicology reports of the late Mohbad had remained secret to date, leading to suspicion and tension within the family, even as the social media had cashed in on the situation to feed the public with false reports.

Oni maintained that social media publishers had thrown caution to the winds by adding to the tension in Mohbad’s family, through the publication of half-truths and fake reports, saying that the Police should stop this.

He wondered why the Police had been dilly-dallying in the investigation when even before his death, Mohbad had petitioned the Police alleging several threats to his life and bullying by certain individuals he named, yet the Police failed to take action till he died.

He maintained that due to the delay of the police in the investigation, Mohbad’s widow and child had also become targets of threats and bullying, like the deceased.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!